- See more at: http://myblogrtricks.blogspot.com/2014/07/how-to-show-post-title-before-blog.html#sthash.p9yUfIwF.dpuf

Saturday, July 26, 2014

Maree Anderson's Freaks of Greenfield High Was Freaking Awesome!

I discovered the latest ebook I'm reviewing 
by complete
and total
accident.

And I'm glad I did!

image via http://www.mareeanderson.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/09/freaks-of-greenfield-high-600x800.jpg
Cover Design by Rob Anderson

Freaks of Greenfield High is a YA sci-fi romance written by Maree Anderson.

So what's it about?

Jay thinks faster, moves more fluidly, and has more strength than any other person her age. Of course, that makes perfect sense when one considers that she's a cyborg. What doesn't make sense, though, is that after meeting Tyler she has had to struggle with unusual and foreign emotions. She's evolving, becoming more than a cyborg... becoming human. Jay needs to come to terms with these changes while navigating the halls of a high school, keeping herself as low-key as possible, and evading the people that seek to use her highly sophisticated body as a powerful weapon.

As I said, this one was an accident.

While navigating through recommendations for me after downloading an ebook, I found one that looked spectacular... then clicked on this one when my daughter hit my elbow, attempting to gain my attention.

"Crap." I thought. 
"Whatever... I'll go ahead and see what this is about. I might as well."

So I did exactly that after tending to my daughter, and I have no regrets.

You've probably figured out by now that I wasn't particularly interested. The title seemed a bit silly, and the cover art didn't exactly make me want to read it. It felt... blah. Even the blurb didn't do much for me.

But I really liked the idea of a cyborg love story. It's not something you read every day, after all. So I went ahead and read the first few paragraphs. Then the next few.

And then a few after that!

Aside from a few proofreading errors, this ebook was spectacular. Not just a little good. Not not even really good.

Amazing!

The story of Jay's evolution was meticulously crafted. Dialogue changed over time. Sentence structures changed, and her word usage became less precise and more conversational. The reader could truly witness her evolution into something more than just a cyborg.

In fact, I ended up loving this so much that it became...

The newest Treasured Tome!
The newest Treasured Tome!!!
Yep. It was that good.

I know what you're thinking. How in the world could this be a Treasured Tome if I had so much reticence about even reading it, right? I mean, I even complained about some proofreading errors.

But that's the thing.

This story was so powerful that I was able to forget those issues. Rather than nitpick about various technical problems, I found myself living and breathing the words within the pages.

And I cried!!!

That didn't happen until the last 25% or so of the book, but I cried for a decent amount of time when it did. Prior to that, however, this story took me on an intense, emotional whirlwind. How so? Well, I laughed, I became angry, then I became very angry. Anderson also threw in a heap of loss and social fear, then added in some new love.

The result was similar to tasting a favored dish for the very first time. You feel that same mixture of physical and emotional pull, complete with momentary sense of floating.

Or, at least, that's what happened to me the first time I tasted creme brulee...

But you get the picture. This ebook makes you feel as though you've just placed your hands on a glorious treasure. It gives you both the yearning to share it, and the desire to keep it only for yourself.

Anderson has mastered the skill of emotional manipulation, and I love her for it.

Freaks of Greenfield High can be found on Kindle, Nook, and Smashwords.



Special Note: The new cover image is far superior to the original that I saw:





No comments:

Post a Comment

Moderated to reduce comments that are unrelated to the post.